How to Cook Beef Liver (Your Kids Will Love!)
Learn How to Cook Beef Liver that Your Kids Will Love! And serve these tasty little “nuggets” with probiotic-rich fermented ketchup for the perfect nutrient-rich meal!
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Liver That Actually Tastes Delicious!
Encouraging children to eat liver, especially beef liver, can sometimes be very challenging. But with this tasty recipe, you’ll turn bite-sized pieces of liver into crunchy morsels that your kids will eat right up—one after the other!
Buttermilk to the Rescue
Yes, frying the beef liver helps tremendously, but sometimes even a good batter dip can’t hide the strong flavor of this organ meat. That’s where the buttermilk comes in.
With a good soak, the liver’s flavor will soften and be almost undetectable once batter dipped and fried. This is great news if you have kids who have turned their nose up to liver in the past. But that’s all about to change when you bring this liver to the table!
More Nutrient-Rich Recipes
Once you conquer beef liver, it will be time to introduce your kids to my bone marrow recipe. Yes, bone marrow! And you know what? They’re going to love it! Nutrient Rich Foods here we come! 😉
If you’re looking for a good source for marrow bones and bones for making bone broth, check out US Wellness Meats and use my special discount coupon with the link below.
- Use this US Wellness Meats link and promocode MARYNEST to save 15% off regular-priced items on your order.
Here’s a video where I’m unboxing one of my US Wellness Meats orders. This is not a sponsored post. I like the quality of their products, and I think you will too!
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks.
In the following members-only video, I talk about What Are Traditional Diets and How to Get Started.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Fried Beef Liver Nuggets
- 1 pound Beef liver, partially frozen
- Beef tallow Enough to fill pot one inch
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- Cut beef liver with a serrated knife into 2-inch pieces.
- Place liver pieces into the buttermilk, and soak for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove liver pieces from the buttermilk and roll in flour.
- Dip dusted liver back into the buttermilk and then roll in flour again.
- Place liver pieces on a baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack.
- Place enough tallow in a heavy bottom pot, so that when the tallow melts, it measures at least 1 inch from the bottom.
- Melt tallow to 350°F.
- Place four pieces of liver in the heated fat and fry until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove fried livers from pot and place to drain on a paper towel or cooling rack placed over a baking sheet. Sprinkle fried livers with salt.
- Repeat the process until all livers pieces have been fried.
- Serve immediately with your favorite condiment, like Fermented Ketchup.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Frying Supplies
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Favorite Aprons
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- Masontops Fermentation Kit (promo code below)
- Mockmill Grain Grinder and Whole Grains (promo code below)
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Use promo code marysnest for a 5% discount on Mockmill Stone Grain Mill products, including Ancient Grains, like Einkorn, Emmer, and Spelt.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.