More Skinny Soups for Weight Loss
Hi Sweet Friends,
Today, I am sharing another “Skinny Soup” that is rich in prebiotics. What are prebiotics? That’s a great question. Prebiotics are the food, in essence, that probiotics eat. Why is this important? Because probiotics are the good bacteria that live in our gut, and scientists tell us that the more good bacteria we have in our gut, the healthier we are.
And of special interest to those of us trying to lose weight, two scientific studies, one conducted in Belgium and the other in France, found that people who have higher levels of good bacteria in their gut can lose weight easier and are generally slimmer than folks who don’t. So if you are in need of slimming (as am I!), we’d best consume lots of prebiotics along with our probiotics to make sure that those probiotics have plenty to eat and multiply!
Subscribe to my channel for more easy recipes
And while you're visiting my Mary's Nest YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe and click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
- Visit Mary's Nest Amazon Shop
Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more...and learn about Special Discounts for Mary's Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
Favorite Soup Making Supplies:
Favorite Diet Books
- Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and Diet Dictocrats
- Nourishing Diets: How Paleo, Ancestral and Traditional Peoples Really Ate
- The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit
- The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear without Watching What You Eat!
*A Note About Affiliates: My videos, video descriptions, and blog posts may contain affiliate links to various products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website.
Prebiotic Rich Skinny Soup for Weight Loss
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or other cooking fat
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup Barley (pearled) soaked and sprouted, optional
- 8 cups Chicken bone broth or Chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 2 cups Mushrooms chopped
- 1 bunch Asparagus chopped with lower woody stalks removed
- 1-2 cups Cooked beans (your choice) soaked and sprouted, optional
- 1 teaspoon Dried herbs (your choice)
- Add the ghee to a large soup pot and saute the onion until they are translucent. Add in the salt and both peppers.
- Add in the barley and toss with the onions, and then add in the chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil, turn down to low, cover the soup pot and allow to simmer for approximately 40 minutes until the barley is tender.
- After 40 minutes, remove the lid from the soup pot and add the asparagus stalks and the mushrooms. Allow to simmer for 1 minute. Next, add in the asparagus tips and allow to simmer for another minute.
- Next, add cooked beans to the soup pot along with the herbs. Allow to simmer for another minute until the beans are warmed through.
- Taste and add additional salt if necessary.
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!