Answers to the Most Popular Long Term Food Storage Questions
In today’s video, I follow up with the many questions that I received on my recent series of food storage videos, including:
- Can I store dried fruit with an oxygen absorber?
- Can I use an oxygen absorber and silica gel pack together?
- Should I include bay leaves with my food in a mylar bag?
- Can I reuse mylar bags?
- Can I reuse the silica gel packs that I find in other food and vitamin packages?
- Is it okay to put whole grains or white rice in a 5-gallon bucket for long-term storage?
- And many more!
Food Storage Videos
I collected the questions in today’s in-depth video from the comments on my series of food storage videos. (I even had questions come in as I was filming!)
If you haven’t had a chance to watch these videos, start with the oxygen absorbers versus silica gel packs video to understand these necessary food storage supplies. You will need to use these products when you store your food for the long-term in your Prepper Pantry.
Next, the following comprehensive food storage video gives you the grand tour of the best food storage options from 5-gallon buckets to mylar bags, and more! I also show you the easiest way to install Gamma lids on your storage buckets.
And speaking of mylar bags, this tutorial video will show you the best way to seal food in mylar bags with your clothes iron in just seconds.
Food Storage Resources
Here are some of the references that I mention in my food storage video:
- Long-term food storage (Latter Day Saints)
- Preserve the Harvest (Utah State University Extension Service)
- Silica Gel Packs (Silicon dioxide) (Food and Drug Administration)
- Oxygen Absorbers Recommended Amounts (USA Emergency Supply)
- National Preparedness Month (US Department of Homeland Security)
Free eBooks for Your Prepper Pantry Library
Be sure to download the following resources to help you learn more about storing food for the long-term and how to be prepared for emergencies.
- A Guide to Food Storage for Emergencies (downloadable booklet from Utah State University)
- Ready emergency preparedness publications (numerous PDFs from the US Department of Homeland Security for families, seniors, pet owners, and more)
- How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry (my free 36-page pantry list)
You’ll want to save the electronic files on your computer or mobile phone for easy reference. And you’ll also want to print out your essential eBooks and pages so you’ll physically have them in case you don’t have electricity to power your electronic devices and access your files.
After you download my free pantry list, be sure to watch my accompanying video to see how you can best use his comprehensive eBook with your Four Corners Pantry, including your Extended or Prepper Pantry.
Even though the month of September and National Preparedness Month in the United States is drawing to a close, our preparedness efforts continue for the long-term. These series of videos will help you build your Prepper Pantry over the long-term with real food and within your budget.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Shop for Items Mentioned in This Blog Post
Favorite Food Storage and Prepping Supplies
- 5 Gallon Buckets w/ Lid
- Bucket Lid Opener Tool
- Gamma Lids (White) (Multi-Colored)
- Half Gallon Canning Jars
- Leak Proof/Air Tight Jar Lids
- Handheld Foodsaver with Docking Port
- Handheld Foodsaver
- Foodsaver Jar Adapter Kit
- Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer
- Bay Leaves (helps deter bugs)
- BIC Mark-It Permanent Marker (to label your mylar bags)
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Ingenious device to decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- Masontops Fermentation Kit (promo code below)
- Mockmill 100 Stone Grain Mill (promo code below)
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Use promo code marysnest for a 5% discount on Mockmill Stone Grain Mill products, including Ancient Grains, like Einkorn, Emmer, and Spelt.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.