Elderberry Syrup Recipe – Fight Colds and Flu Naturally
When the Fall season arrives, I always like to make sure that I have plenty of natural remedies on hand. Making Elderberry Syrup is one of my favorite remedies for fighting colds and flu. My particular blend is especially nice because I do not include any strong spices that could irritate sore throats that often accompany a cold.
Be sure to add this to your arsenal of natural remedies and make it today…before the cold and flu season arrives!
A Word of Caution
I am not a medical doctor, so to be safe, be sure to check with your physician before taking Elderberry Syrup or any homemade natural remedy.
More Natural Home Remedy Recipes
Once you make Elderberry Syrup, you’ll see how easy it is to make your own natural home remedies, so be sure to give the recipes in this section a try.
If you get a cold or flu this fall or winter, Rose Hips Syrup and Super Mineral Broth will have you feeling better in no time! They’re two of my favorites to have on hand when we get the sniffles in our home.
- Homemade Rose Hips Syrup Recipe
- Super Mineral Broth Recipe – Natural Immune Booster
- Turmeric Golden Milk Spice Mix Recipe
- Immune Boosting Honey – Infused with Garlic, Ginger, and Turmeric
- How to Make Homemade Cough Syrup – Natural Remedy for Coughs – Preparation and Decanting
Subscribe to my channel for more easy recipes
And while you're visiting my Mary's Nest YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe and click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 2 cups Dried elderberries
- 1 cup Dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 cup Dried rosehips, crushed
- Filtered water to cover
- 1 cup Honey preferably raw
- Add all ingredients to a 4-quart soup pot and cover with 8 cups of filtered water.
- Place soup pot on stove, turn heat to high, and bring mixture to a boil. Afterwards, turn down to low and allow the mixture to simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid and allow the mixture to continue to simmer on the stove on low for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the soup pot from the stove and transfer to a heat-proof surface. Allow mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- While mixture is cooling slightly, prepare a heat-proof container such as an 8-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, and place a strainer over the container.
- Place the soup pot close to the heat-proof container with the strainer. Using a soup ladle, transfer the liquid, along with the solids, into the strainer allowing the liquid to drain into the heat-proof container.
- Pour 1 cup of honey into the liquid in the heat-proof container and mix thoroughly until the honey is completely dissolved. This is your Elderberry syrup.
- Decant the Elderberry Syrup into a container and refrigerate. This syrup will last approximately 1 year if properly refrigerated. When using the syrup, always use a clean spoon so as to not contaminate the syrup. For information on how I use this Elderberry Syrup, please see the Recipe Notes below.
- One final note as to the solids that remain after the liquid is strained out. Do not discard the mixture of elderberries, hibiscus flowers, and rosehips. Transfer this mixture to ice cube trays, top off with water, and place the filled ice cube trays in your freezer. Once frozen, transfer the individual herbal ice cubes to a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Use these herbal ice cubes to make tea by placing individual cubes into a tea ball and steep in hot water for a few minutes.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
- Visit Mary's Nest Amazon Shop
Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more...and learn about Special Discounts for Mary's Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
Here are some of my favorite Natural Home Remedy Supplies. (I listed a variety of Elderberry options at different prices.)
- Organic Whole Elderberries, 1 Pound
- European Whole Elderberries, 1 Pound
- Wildcrafted Whole Elderberries, 1 Pound
- Organic Hibiscus Flowers, Cut and Sifted, 1 Pound
- Organic Whole Rosehips, 1 Pound
- 100% Certified Organic Raw Honey, 1 Pound
- Pyrex, Prep-ware 8-Cup Measuring Cup Made of glass, red
- Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Clear Jar, 101.50-Ounce
- Bormioli Fido Clear Square Canning Jar 1.5 Liter
- All-Clad Brushed 18/10 Stainless Steel Dishwasher Safe Soup Pot with Lid Cookware, 4-Quart
*A Note About Affiliates: My videos, video descriptions, and blog posts may contain affiliate links to various products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website.