Quick and Easy Home Remedy for Colds and Flu
If you feel you might be coming down with the sniffles, this recipe provides you with a quick and easy Home Remedy for Colds and Flu that can be made with four simple ingredients and is ready in minutes.
No Elderberries on Hand?
If you didn’t get a chance to make your cold and flu-fighting Elderberry Syrup and now you can’t find any elderberries, don’t worry. This home remedy is easy to make with four common ingredients that are rich in antiviral and antibacterial properties. Most home kitchens have these ingredients on hand:
- Ginger (fresh or ground)
When Time is Short
When you start to feel a bit under the weather, but you’ve not made any tonics like Rose Hips Syrup or don’t have the time to let a Fire Cider steep for weeks, having a home remedy that comes together in minutes can be very comforting.
Easy to Take
Once you whirl the first three ingredients together in a blender with a bit of water (and a bit of honey, if you want), you can take this lemon mixture by the teaspoons—or tablespoons if you’re a brave soul—every few hours.
Now keep in mind, this is not a substitute for appropriate medical care from your doctor or other medical professionals, but this mixture, like so many home remedies, can be comforting to body and spirit and serve as a complement to modern medical care. (See the “NOTES” section of the printable recipe below for very important information regarding this home remedy.)
More Natural Living Recipes
Now that you know how to make this recipe, be sure to stock your pantry with these other Immune Boosting Foods and Home Remedies for Modern Pioneer Living, including How to Make: Super Mineral Broth, Elderberry Syrup, Rose Hips Syrup, Immune Boosting Honey, Ginger Honey, Herbal Cough Medicine, and Turmeric Golden Milk Spice Mix.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Cold and Flu Home Remedy
- Electric blender
- 1 Whole lemon, seeds removed and chopped Preferably organic. If not organic, wash exterior of whole lemon (uncut) with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Rinse well and dry.
- 4 inch Piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped Ground ginger can be substituted. Start with 1 teaspoon and increase to 1 tablespoon until desired flavor is achieved.
- 4 cloves Fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Water Or more as needed
- Honey, optional Preferably raw
- Add lemon, ginger, garlic, and half a cup of water to the blender and blend well until the mixture consistency is smooth. The blending will take approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add additional water if the mixture is thick and struggling to blend.
- Transfer the mixture to a lidded jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh and potent for about 2 weeks.
- If you want, you can combine the mixture with equal parts of honey and store it in a lidded jar in the refrigerator. For example, if you measure the mixture (as I show in the video) and you have 1 ½ cups of the mixture, you can add 1 ½ cups of honey to the mixture to sweeten it. Optionally, you can use less, more, or no honey depending on your taste.
- If the mixture is stored without honey, you can add equal parts honey when consuming a single dosage.
- For dosage instructions, please see "NOTES" section below.
- And remember…this is not a substitute for appropriate medical care from your doctor or other medical professionals, but this mixture, like so many home remedies, can be comforting to body and spirit and serve as a complement to modern medical care.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Home Remedy Making Supplies
- KitchenAid Blender
- Wusthof Knife
- Bamboo Cutting Board
- 16-ounce Wide Mouth Storage Jars
- 32-ounce Wide Mouth Storage Jars
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.