How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
I called Instant Pot customer service for advice on How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot – the Right Way! And boy did I learn SO much valuable information and I’m sharing it all with you in this video!
Hesitation with the Instant Pot
I’ve been hesitant to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot because I had read on many a food blog that the taste could be bland and the skin quite soggy. That sounded very unappealing to me, especially since I love my oven-roasted chicken.
But I decided with the popularity of these new pressure cookers that there had to be a better way to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot.
A Better Way
And I was right! There is a better way to cook a whole chicken in the Instant Pot. I called the manufacturer’s customer service line and learned that there are certain techniques for creating a tasty, “fall off the bone” chicken, with skin that isn’t limp.
Instant Pot Secrets Revealed!
There are a number of tips and tricks to getting the perfectly cooked chicken in the Instant Pot. I’ll walk you through the process step-by-step in this video. And I want to share the most important piece of information that I learned. The secret to the most delicious chicken is…start with a dry rub. And not any dry rub. A barbecue rub or chili barbecue rub!
My Favorite Rub for an Instant Pot Chicken
The mixture I created for my dry rub included sea salt, red and green ancho chili powders, paprika, onion powder, coriander, and freshly ground pepper. (Recipe below.) It created a delightfully flavorful crust—yes a crust!—on my Instant Pot chicken.
Definitely the Best Whole Chicken
This Instant Pot chicken was delicious! Plus, it creates a flavorful broth that you can easily turn into a gravy for the chicken. So if you have been hesitant to cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot, now is the time to give it a try. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it will be!
More Ideas for the Instant Pot
Once you try out this Instant Pot Chicken recipe, be sure to check out these other Instant Pot videos:
Subscribe to my channel for more easy recipes
And while you're visiting my Mary's Nest YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe and click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
- 6-Quart or 8-Quart Instant Pot
For the Chicken
- 4 1/4 pound Whole chicken
- 1 Onion, skin on and cut into eighths
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Water 1 1/2 cups for the 6-quart Instant Pot or 2 cups for the 8-quart Instant Pot.
- 2 teaspoons Fine ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Red ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Green ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all the dry rub ingredients together then rub the mixture in the cavity of the chicken and all over the exterior of the chicken.
- Place the onions in the cavity of the chicken.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and remove the rack. Next, pour the water into the stainless steel liner.
- Place the chicken on the rack. Lower the rack into the Instant Pot stainless steel liner using the handles of the rack.
- Properly seal the Instant Pot and set the vent to "sealing".
- Set the Instant Pot to "high" pressure and set the timer for 34 minutes. (Or 8 minutes per pound of chicken.)
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, allow the Instant Pot to come down from pressure naturally, or release the pressure moving the vent from "sealing" to "venting". BE CAREFUL! If you release the pressure in this way, steam will surge out of the vent. I prefer to allow the pressure to come down naturally.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the Instant Pot, and remove the lid. Lift the chicken out of the stainless steel liner using the handles of the rack. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and enjoy!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
- Visit Mary's Nest Amazon Shop
Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more...and learn about Special Discounts for Mary's Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
- 8-Quart Duo Plus Instant Pot
- 6-Quart Duo 7-in1 Instant Pot
- 6-Quart Duo 9-in-1 Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Compatible Accessory Kit
*A Note About Affiliates: My videos, video descriptions, and blog posts may contain affiliate links to various products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website.