How to Make a Traditional Irish Brown Soda Bread
Learn How to Make a Traditional Irish Soda Bread that’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any time of the year when you want to make a quick bread that needs no yeast and no rise time.
Ready In About 30 Minutes Without Yeast
In a little more than 30 minutes, you can be pulling fresh bread out of the oven to enjoy plain or slathered with butter and jam. Thanks to the use of baking soda, there is no need for yeast!
A Few Simple Ingredients
To make this soda bread, you just need a few ingredients. You’ll want some type of whole grain flour: whole wheat, spelt, or einkorn will work great. Then you’ll just need a bit of salt and, you guessed it, some baking “soda.” That’s where Irish Soda Bread gets its name!
For the liquid, you’ll need some buttermilk, but don’t worry if you don’t have any. In my Buttermilk Substitutes video, I show you four different ways you can make a buttermilk substitute—any of which you can use in this recipe.
How to Enjoy Soda Bread
Soda Bread is best sliced and enjoyed the day it’s baked. Slather it with butter, and you’ll have a real treat. But don’t worry if you don’t finish it all in one day. Over the next few days, just pop a slice in the toaster for a few seconds, and it will be refreshed just like the day you made it!
More Irish Recipes
Now that you’ve learned how to make Irish Brown Soda Bread, be sure to check out these other videos where I show you how to make Corned Beef and Cabbage on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot and how to make an Irish Apple Cake. Enjoy them for St. Patrick’s Day or any day!
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Irish Brown Soda Bread
- 4 cups Whole wheat flour Or another whole grain flour such as spelt or einkorn.
- 1 cup All-purpose flour Also knows as "Plain" flour.
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda Can substitute with baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Fine ground sea salt Or another fine ground salt
- 3 cups Buttermilk If using baking powder, substitute buttermilk with regular milk. If no buttermilk, you can substitute with milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice, yogurt thinned with milk or water, or sour cream thinned with milk or water.
- Place rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the buttermilk over the dry ingredients and mix with an open hand until all the dry ingredients are moistened. (See the video.) Do not over mix.
- Place dough on a well-floured surfaced and work it gently into the shape of a round loaf with a flat bottom. (See the video.)
- Transfer the dough to a lined baking sheet, greased cast iron frying pan, or another appropriate baking pan that can accommodate a round loaf.
- Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise cross on top of the dough, approximately a 1/4 inch deep.
- Brush top of the dough with milk and sprinkle with salt.
- Place into preheated oven onto the middle rack. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the soda bread is a golden brown.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the bread from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely, and then slice and enjoy!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Baking Supplies
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Measuring Cups
- Glass Bowls
- Spatula Spoon
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats
- Parchment Paper
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.