Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Many Easy Variations
Learn How to Make a Breakfast Casserole with Many Variations. You may also know this recipe as a Strata or Breakfast Strata, but no matter what you call the dish…it’s delicious!
One Easy Formula Breakfast Casserole
A breakfast casserole follows a basic formula of ingredients, and once you know the recipe, you can mix and match ingredients to create a dish with the flavors you, your family, and friends enjoy most!
As I describe in my printable recipe, you’ll start with cubed bread. Next, pick your cheese, meat, and veggies, and then toss them all together in a large bowl with an egg-based custard. Transfer the mixture to your baking dish, top with more cheese, and you’re done! And if you want to prepare the ingredients right in your baking dish, you can do that too. One less bowl to clean!
Make it the Same Day or the Night Before
Another benefit of breakfast casseroles is that you can prepare the recipe the night before and pop it in the fridge. Or you can make the recipe the same day you want to bake it. It’s up to you.
Once you’ve prepared the dish, which literally just takes minutes, you’ll pop it in the oven. Then in about 45 minutes, you have a bubbly tasty dish that includes all the food groups…bread, cheese, meat…and veggies! 😉Yes, you’ll get a healthy helping of veggies too!
More Breakfast and Brunch Videos
After you have a chance to enjoy this delicious Breakfast Casserole, be sure to try these other tasty dishes that will be welcome at any breakfast or brunch table!
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Many Variations
- Approximately 9" x 13" oven safe baking dish.
- 1 teaspoon Butter, softened
- 12 large Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy cream Milk or a combination of milk and cream may also be used
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, optional Other flavorings or spices may be added in place of the mustard, depending on the other ingredients you are using and the flavor you are trying to achieve. (See video.)
- 8 cups Cubed bread, any variety, day old is best
- 2 cups Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled This is approximately 1 pound of bacon. You can substitute approximately 1 pound of any cooked meat. Alternatively, you can omit the meat and add more vegetables. (See the vegetable ingredient.)
- 2 cups Chopped vegetables of choice If you choose to omit the meat ingredient, you will want to add a total of 4 cups of vegetables.
- 2 cups Cheese, shredded, divided 1 1/2 cups will be mixed into the casserole, and the remaining half cup will be used to top the casserole. Any easily shredded cheese will work well, including Cheddar, Swill, Monterey Jack, Colby, or similar cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Mix eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and mustard (or another seasoning) together in a large measuring cup or bowl. Beat together well until the cream and eggs are completely emulsified. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients together, reserving 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture over the bread mixture and toss well until all the dry ingredients are well coated, and the bread cubes begin to absorb the egg and cream mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Place baking dish in the 350°F preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and allow the casserole to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbly on top.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and place it on a heatproof surface. Allow the dish to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Any leftovers may be refrigerated and will stay fresh for 3-4 days if wrapped well. To reheat, place leftovers in an oven safe dish covered with aluminum foil and place in a 350°F oven until warmed through, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Casserole Making Supplies
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.