Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
How to Make Moisturizing Herbal Hair Oil with Rosemary and Thyme
If you have dry or thinning hair, this Herbal Hair Oil with Rosemary and Thyme will come to your rescue! After just one treatment, your scalp will be invigorated, and your locks will be as smooth as silk.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
As with any herbal preparation used on your skin, be sure to always do a patch test first on a small area of your skin to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction.
Note: This mixture is not to be used by pregnant women or children.
I am not a doctor or medical professional. If you are not feeling well, please seek professional medical attention and medicine. And if you are thinking of supplementing your treatment with home remedies, be sure to talk to your medical professional about them. It’s important that you get the medicine and treatments you need to get back to good health.
Herbal Hair Oil to the Rescue
I made this moisturizing herbal hair oil video a few years ago, but with so many of us recently battling illnesses that have caused thinning hair, I knew it was time to create a corresponding blog post for the video and include a printable recipe.
So if you have found that after being ill or undergoing extreme stress, your hair just doesn’t seem as thick or smooth as it used to be, this video and recipe are for you! If your hair is thinning or drying, an herbal hair oil will come to your rescue.
This herbal hair oil uses the following herbs in the form of essential oils:
- Rosemary essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
Herbalists believe these oils have scalp-stimulating properties that can help to stimulate hair growth.
In addition to the essential oils, this herbal hair oil also contains the following highly moisturizing oils:
- Argan Oil
- Castor Oil
- Jojoba Oil
Argan oil has gained popularity in recent years as the base in many modern hair care products. However, this oil has actually been used for centuries to heal skin and soften hair.
Castor oil is quite thick, but it is exceptionally nourishing both to the skin of the scalp as well as our hair. This oil works best when thinned with other nourishing oils.
Jojoba oil is rich in a whole host of vitamins and minerals that nourish the scalp and the hair. These vitamins and minerals include:
- B vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Together, these three moisturizing oils combine with the two stimulating essential oils to make the perfect partners that will hopefully help our hair grow and soften the existing hair we have.
Make This Herbal Hair Oil Your Own
In addition to the main essential oils of rosemary and thyme, you can also add other essential oils with fragrances that you like. For example, I like to add:
- A little peppermint oil, and
- A touch of lavender oil
But by all means, choose the essential oils you like to make this herbal hair oil your own.
Additional Herbal Hair Oil Resources
If you enjoy making herbal hair oils and would like to learn more, be sure to consult these two excellent resources:
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide – 33 Healing Herbs to Know, Grow, and Use
- Healing Herbal Infusions: Simple and Effective Home Remedies for Colds, Muscle Pain, Upset Stomach, Stress, Skin Issues and More by Colleen Codekas
In addition to recipes for herbal hair oils, these books also provide a variety of herbal recipes, including hair rinses and other homemade health and beauty products made with herbs.
More Homemade Beauty Recipes
If you enjoy making herbal preparations, such as this herbal hair oil, be sure to check out the video below for how to make medicinal herbal oils and salves.
If you buy tallow (or even better, if you have learned how to render your own tallow), you will certainly want to try your hand at making your own:
These mixtures are amazing, and with such wholesome ingredients, you may never want their store-bought counterparts again!
As I mentioned earlier, you can use store-bought tallow to make my lavender foot cream or moisturizer, but you can also make homemade tallow. I show you how in the following video.
Homemade Cleaner Recipe
Once you have used herbal hair oils and homemade beauty creams, you may want to create a more natural home by making your own homemade cleaning products.
In the videos below, I share how to make a pine cleaner and a citrus vinegar. Both make wonderful all-purpose cleaners. (However, be sure to patch-test your homemade cleaners on surfaces first to make sure you are happy with the results.)
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
For an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
The following members-only video is a replay of a recent live stream where we chat about How to Approach Building Your Traditional Foods Kitchen.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Preorder The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This cookbook will be published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Trending Posts on Mary’s Nest
Moisturizing Herbal Hair Oil with Rosemary and Thyme
- 1 Small non-reactive bowl such as glass
- 1 Set of measuring spoons
- 1 tbsp Castor oil
- 1 tsp Jojoba oil
- 1 tsp Argan oil
- 1-2 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 1-2 drop Thyme essential oil
- 1 drop Peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop Lavender essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in the bowl until thoroughly incorporated.
- Using the tips of your fingers, massage the oil into your scalp and down the locks of your hair.
- Place some type of plastic over your hair to cover it. (For the plastic, you can use a shower cap or a gallon-sized storage bag cut to fit your hair.)
- Wrap your covered hair in a towel and leave the oil on your hair for 30 minutes or up to one hour.
- Remove the towel and plastic and shampoo your hair as usual.
- This treatment works best when used once to twice per week.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Moisturizing Oils
Favorite Essential Oils
- Holy Basil
- NOW Foods Essential Oils Variety Sample
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Favorite Aprons
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
More Kitchen Supplies with Discount Codes
- Mockmill Grain Grinder (for making homemade flour)
Use my Mockmill affiliate link for a special one-time 5% discount on Mockmill Stone Grain Mill products, including the new Flake Lover's Flaker. (The Mockmill discount will appear when you checkout.)
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Mockmill Grain Mill, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.