How to Make Fish Bone Broth in 45 Minutes
Hi Sweet Friends,
Today, I’m sharing a Fish Bone Broth Recipe that is iodine rich for good thyroid health and can be ready in 45 minutes! Fish Bone Broth is the queen of bone broths because it is not only rich in iodine, it’s rich in collagen too, which supports good gut health.
Fish Bone Broth is so inexpensive to make because you are using fish bones and fish heads that you should be able to buy for less than $2.00 per pound. So this is one bone broth you really should add to your culinary repertoire!
Subscribe to my channel for more easy recipes
And while you're visiting my Mary's Nest YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe and click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
You can print the recipe below.
Fish Bone Broth Recipe (Video)
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Whole black peppercorns
- 5 pounds Fish bones and fish heads
- 1/2 cup Whilte vermouth or other white wine OR 1 tablespoon vinegar diluted in 1/2 cup water
- Hot water enough to cover bones
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or other cooking fat such as butter, olive oil, or coconut oil
- Add ghee to a large stockpot over medium heat. Once melted, add onions, carrots, and celery. Allow to saute for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add fish bones and fish heads on top of vegetables and add white vermouth. Cover stockpot and allow bones to "sweat" for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add enough hot water to cover bones. Bring water up to a high simmer and skim any foam that comes up to the top.
- Turn heat to low and allow bone broth to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the fish bones, fish heads, and vegetables from the stockpot and then strain the broth and decant into a clean container.
- Broth will stay fresh for 2-3 days in the refrigerator and 2-3 months in the freezer.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
- Visit Mary's Nest Amazon Shop
Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more...and learn about Special Discounts for Mary's Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
Favorite Bone Broth Making Supplies:
- 16-Quart Stock Pot
- 8-Quart Stock Pot
- 7-Quart Slow Cooker
- 8-Quart Slow Cooker
- 10-Quart Slow Cooker
- Fat Separator
- Stainless Steel Strainer
- Flour Sack Towels
*A Note About Affiliates: My videos, video descriptions, and blog posts may contain affiliate links to various products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website.