Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
What To Do About Rising Grocery Prices
I was glad to chat with my sweet Kitchen Pioneers during this month’s live stream on September 23, 2021. Among the topics we talked about were rising grocery prices, including increases in the cost of beef and bacon!
This live stream replay is available to Kitchen Pioneers who have joined my YouTube membership community—The Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Rising Grocery Prices
Over the last six months or so, you may have noticed rising grocery prices at your local market. I have definitely seen quite a jump in the price of bacon!
Recently, the United States Department of Agriculture has reported that over the last year, pork has jumped 11% (an all-time high!) to $4.32 per pound and bacon rose 16.3% to $6.22 per pound.
And if you noticed the price of beef increasing, you would be right! The cost of beef has risen 4.6% to $5.97 per pound.
How to Fight Against Food Inflation
So what can we do to cope with rising grocery prices? Those of you who have been with me for a while will not be surprised when I talk about how you can fight against food inflation: Don’t waste anything!
For example, here’s how you can use a whole chicken for a no-waste kitchen:
- If you buy chicken, then buy a whole chicken.
- Roast the chicken and use any leftovers to make a second meal.
- Save the carcass to make bone broth with your vegetable scrap bag.
- Use the bone broth to make a nutritious soup.
These are the first steps you can take to stretch your food dollar and create a no-waste kitchen. For more examples of what we chatted about, be sure to watch our live stream replay.
Videos to Help You Use a Whole Chicken
Here are videos to help you cook and use a whole chicken for a no-waste kitchen. To stretch your food dollar, you’ll use your entire chicken by roasting it, making a chicken bone broth, and using the bone broth to create a nutritious and delicious soup.
Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy Live Stream
These live streams and live stream replays are available to members of the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy, who we call Kitchen Pioneers. You can learn more about my optional YouTube membership community, including members-only videos and exclusive perks.
This membership community is optional. I’m still publishing my weekly detailed instructional cooking videos on my public YouTube channel that you can watch for free. (Thanks so much for being a Sweet Friend and subscriber!)
In addition to links to the latest Kitchen Academy vodcasts, this blog post lists some of the public videos that I talk about in my live stream.
Join My Next Traditional Foods Live Stream
These live streams are a lot of fun, and I enjoy getting to know more about you, my wonderful Kitchen Pioneers. 😊
Be sure to bring your questions for me to our live streams. You can also get to know the other members in our Kitchen Pioneers community. You’ll find a lot of fellow Kitchen Pioneers who are working on sourdough starters, ferments, and more traditional foods recipes, just like you!
Remember that you’re always welcome to post questions and comments on my videos at any time, and I’m glad to reply.
More Kitchen Pioneer Videos
In addition to live streams, I publish exclusive videos for my membership community. In case you have missed any of my past videos, be sure to catch up with the videos below.
- Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy video playlist (Optional Membership Community)
Here are a few of my recent member videos:
Trending Posts on Mary’s Nest
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Chef’s Knife
- Bamboo Cutting Board
- Lodge Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Spatula Spoon
- Large Stock Pot
- Stainless Steel Colander
- Large Measuring Cup
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Flour Sack Towels
- Favorite Aprons
More Kitchen Supplies with Promo Codes
- Mockmill Grain Grinder and Whole Grains (including Einkorn, Emmer, and Spelt)
Learn more about Mockmill electric grain mills for making fresh flour and their Flake Lover's Flaker that flakes whole grain in minutes.
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!