Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
How to Make the Best Guacamole Ever!
Follow these seven essential tips to make this easy and delicious guacamole recipe in about 5 minutes. It will be the best ever!
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
The Best Ever Guacamole
There are a few secrets to making the best ever guacamole, and in my recipe video, I share seven tips with you so your guacamole will be perfect every time.
The basic guacamole recipe has a delightful mix of avocados, lime juice, and salt. That’s it! It couldn’t be simpler or tastier!
Now, even though your guacamole can be kept very simple with those three ingredients, many recipes often call for a few additions, which I certainly include.
Top Guacamole Tips
The first and most important tip for making the best ever guacamole is to start with Hass Avocados. This variety of avocados is higher in fat than other avocados and will give your guacamole that distinctive creamy mouthfeel that we all love.
The second tip is to be generous when it comes to adding salt and lime juice. You don’t want to go lightly. Both ingredients are key to helping cut through some of the richness of the avocado while boosting the flavor but still maintaining the guacamole’s luscious creaminess.
Be sure to watch the recipe video to learn all seven tips so that you can make the best guacamole ever. It’ll be the star of the show of your next Tex-Mex or Mexican cuisine meal!
Should Guacamole Contain Tomatoes?
If you’ve made guacamole in the past, did you add tomatoes? Some recipes will call for tomatoes, and others will not. I wondered why, so I did a little research.
It turns out that some chefs—and I guess home cooks too—like the idea of adding tomato to their guacamole to make it a one-stop-shop, so to speak, that takes care of serving guacamole and pico de gallo separately.
But in our home, everyone likes their “guac” without tomatoes and their pico de gallo without avocado! 😉 How about you? I’d love to hear how you like your guacamole in the comments below.
Should Guacamole Contain Cilantro?
Cilantro is one of those herbs that has a love-hate relationship among many of us. Some of us love it, and some of us can’t stand it! How can that be?
It turns out that some of us are genetically programmed not to like cilantro. Sadly, it tastes like soap to us. How about that! But those folks who love cilantro find it to be one of the tastiest herbs on the planet!
Since I fall into the “soap” category, I leave the cilantro out of our guacamole. How about you? Do you like to add it in or leave it out?
Or have you been known to substitute cilantro in recipes with Italian flat-leaf parsley? (You know that the Italian in me has done that!)
More Tex-Mex Recipes
If you love guacamole, you’ll want to add more Tex-Mex or Mexican cuisine treats to your table. So be sure to try making homemade salsa. And take it one step further and ferment it for a delicious probiotic-rich condiment.
When I first moved to Texas, I was introduced to many Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine specialties, including guacamole. However, a regional dish that really surprised me was pinto beans.
They looked a bit on the soupy (dare I say watery) side, and I wondered if they would be tasty. Well, boy oh boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Yes, pinto beans are certainly nutritious, and they are definitely delicious!
More Appetizer Recipes
For more appetizer recipes, try this perfectly creamy hummus recipe. And when you’re ready for a gourmet nutrient-dense adventure, you and your family will enjoy this easiest roasted bone marrow recipe.
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
Summertime is the perfect time to inventory what you have stocked up on (or run low on!) in your Four Corners Pantry. Be sure to look through your pantry and start restocking what you need today!
For a refresher, the Four Corners Pantry includes your:
- Working Pantry – What you access every day
- Extended Pantry or “Prepper” Pantry – Where you store your backup supplies
If you need help with what to stock in your Four Corners Pantry for the Traditional Foods Kitchen, download my FREE 36 Page Essential Traditional Foods Pantry List today! It’s chockfull of everything you’ll need for your pantry.
This comprehensive eBook links to videos and printable recipes for how to make meals using all your real food ingredients. And if you’re ready to start building your Extended Pantry, I show you how to stock your Prepper Pantry for just five dollars a week.
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
In the following members-only video, I talk about How to Make Salt Part of a Healthy Diet.
Trending Posts on Mary’s Nest
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
The Best Ever Guacamole
- Medium sized bowl
- Sharp knife
- Potato masher, or two forks or knives
- 3 large Hass avocados
- 2 tbsp Lime juice I used the juice from two limes.
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 piece White onion, minced I used one white bulb onion. (See video.)
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced I removed the seeds and membrane for less spice.
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Plum tomato, optional If you add a tomato, you will need to seed it and dice it.
- 1/4-1/2 cup Cilantro, optional If you use cilantro, you will want to either rough chop it or finely chop it depending on the texture of your guacamole.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Remove each half of avocado from its skin and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the lime juice and salt over the avocado and mash the mixture to the consistency of your liking. (See the recipe video for the consistency I use.) Be sure to avoid over mashing the avocado to the consistency of baby food. You want the guacamole to have some texture to it.
- Once you reach the mashed consistency of your liking, add the onion, pepper, and garlic to the avocado mixture and stir until the additions are completely combined.
- Transfer the guacamole to a bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
- If you are making the guacamole in advance, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, first, press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the guacamole to prevent browning.
- When sealed well, your guacamole will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
More Kitchen Supplies with Promo Codes
- Mockmill Grain Grinder and Whole Grains (including Einkorn, Emmer, and Spelt)
Learn more about Mockmill electric grain mills for making fresh flour and their Flake Lover's Flaker that flakes whole grain in minutes.
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.