Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
I am so thrilled to be able to share the exciting news that I have a new book! It’s The Modern Pioneer Cookbook, and Penguin Random House is publishing it with their DK imprint.
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook is filled with all the techniques and recipes you need to guide you on your journey to creating your own Traditional Foods Kitchen so that you can become a Modern Pioneer in the Kitchen!
Order YOUR COPY Now!
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
Seasonal ingredients, traditional techniques, and nourishing recipes. Over 85 traditional, from-scratch recipes! Discover for yourself how you can use simple ingredients and traditional techniques to cook the modern pioneer way.
Table of Contents
- The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
- Introducing The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
- What’s Inside The Modern Pioneer Cookbook?
- A Tried and True Cookbook
- Add The Modern Pioneer Cookbook to Your Kitchen Bookshelf
- Many Places to Enjoy Cookbooks
- The Value of the Tangible Printed Word
- Keep the Skills of Self-Sufficiency and Independence Alive
- An Exciting Writing Adventure!
- More Information
- Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
- Kitchen Academy Videos
- Kitchen Academy Videos
- Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Introducing The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
When an editor from Penguin Random House contacted me to write a cookbook, I couldn’t believe it! It was such a dream come true, and I was so happy at the prospect of being able to provide my sweet friends with a printed book with the essential knowledge to help you create your own Traditional Foods Kitchen.
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook is so much more than a cookbook. I am excited to provide you with a manual full of all the techniques you need to create the most nourishing and tasty homemade foods. Best of all, you’ll save money and be on your way to creating a no-waste kitchen at the same time.
What’s Inside The Modern Pioneer Cookbook?
Inside The Modern Pioneer Cookbook, I share my best methods for creating traditional foods, working with you step-by-step in a detailed yet easy-to-follow manner. Plus, I share my best tips and tricks, so much more than I have been able to share in my videos.
The topics I cover include how to:
- Make the best bone broths
- Culture assorted types of dairy and make a variety of stovetop cheeses
- Ferment vegetables, fruit, and condiments, and make some of the best homemade probiotic vinegar you have ever had
- Become the best home baker making quick breads, yeasted breads, sourdough, and even sprouted flour breads
- Make superfoods everyone will love to eat
- Become a home canner and dry food in assorted ways, perfect for storing in your pantry
- Make a Pioneer Wedding Cake and other scrumptious desserts using whole grain flours and whole sweeteners
- And how to use all the traditional foods you make to create delicious and nourishing meals
In addition to all the techniques and recipes I share in The Modern Pioneer Cookbook, I also give you a glimpse into my life. I share stories about my sweet husband, our son, and my parents, including lots of wisdom from my mom, whom so many of you have come to adore!
A Tried and True Cookbook
When you open The Modern Pioneer Cookbook, you can be assured that when you follow a recipe, every technique you try or dish you make will come out wonderfully. I was blessed to have an amazing editor who also provided me with a professional recipe tester.
The recipe tester worked her way through my content to ensure that everything would turn out as it should and that the written explanations were clear and didn’t leave anything out. You will be delighted with all the detail I share with you, while at the same time not overwhelming you with anything too complicated.
Add The Modern Pioneer Cookbook to Your Kitchen Bookshelf
One of the top requests I’ve received as comments on my videos and website, as well as by email and letters, is, do I have a printed cookbook? I’m happy to say that now I do, and I know it’ll be a treasured reference on your kitchen bookshelf.
It brings me such joy knowing that you can now have a printed book with the traditional food knowledge that I have learned over my lifetime. No matter what the future holds, you will have The Modern Pioneer Cookbook as an essential Traditional Foods manual on your bookshelf that you can refer to time and time again, even if the power and the Internet are out! (It’s perfect for reading by candlelight. 😉)
It’s my hope that The Modern Pioneer Cookbook will be placed on your shelf next to your treasured copy of Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. For me, there is nothing like holding a real book in my hands and being able to pull it off my kitchen bookshelf whenever the need arises.
Many Places to Enjoy Cookbooks
Don’t get me wrong, the Internet can be helpful, but when it comes to creating and living a traditional kitchen life, most of us also want the real deal! We want to be able to hold a book in our hands, carry it with us as we settle in at our kitchen table with a hot cup of coffee or tea, and slowly turn the pages as we take our time to read, learn, and relax.
And if you are like me, there is nothing more comforting than climbing into bed, pulling up the covers, getting all cozy, and opening a favorite book. I often have a stack of cookbooks piled high by my bedside. My collection continues to grow, and I hope yours is too and that it’ll include The Modern Pioneer Cookbook.
The Value of the Tangible Printed Word
One of the greatest compliments I have ever received was when a new visitor walked into my living room and exclaimed, “Oh my! C.S. Lewis would be right at home here!”
As you may know, Lewis is the acclaimed author of many beautiful books, including the classic series The Chronicles of Narnia, beloved by both children and adults. Like so many authors, or anyone who simply treasures the printed word, Lewis also had a lot of books!
Our living room, and if I am being truthful, much of our home is filled from top to bottom with books! Both my husband and I are, as the saying goes, bibliophiles! So you can imagine my joy when I received the opportunity to write a book! And not just any book—a book for Penguin Random House’s DK imprint.
If you are familiar with DK, you know that they publish the most beautiful books that are treasured for a lifetime and shared from generation to generation!
Keep the Skills of Self-Sufficiency and Independence Alive
If you have been with me for a while, you have probably heard me refer to certain pantry items as forever foods. Well, the wonderful thing about a book is that, in essence, it is something that can last forever. Ask any collector of antiquarian books! What excitement there is when you can hold an original copy of a book written in the 1700s. Just imagine all the people who have held that book before you. All the memories, all the enjoyment they experienced reading that book, just as you can now!
I can only hope that in the years that follow, my cookbook will be shared and enjoyed with future generations, giving them the same skills that you gained as you created a Traditional Foods Kitchen.
I’ve relished all the comments and correspondence I have received over the years. You’ve shared with me that not only have you learned how to make foods homemade in the traditional way but that you have taught others too. I am so proud of you!
Through teaching others, we will keep these skills of self-sufficiency and independence alive. And as you continue to grow your skills and share your experience with others, I hope you’ll be able to use The Modern Pioneer Cookbook as a valuable reference for how everyone can create their own Traditional Foods Kitchen.
An Exciting Writing Adventure!
In my cookbook announcement video, I share the details of writing The Modern Pioneer Cookbook. It was quite the adventure of writing and reviewing the book as it progressed from a manuscript to digital layouts before being sent to the printer.
In addition, my editor, along with a photographer and a food stylist, came to my home for a week. It was such a delight having them here. You will love seeing all the pictures of the food I cooked right here in my kitchen that was then photographed on my kitchen table. I hope you will feel like you are right here in my kitchen, cooking alongside me!
- Behind the Scenes of Making of The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
- The Modern Pioneer Cookbook Debuts on Publishers Weekly Bestsellers List
- Lake Travis Reads Features The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook is available for preorder now, and while your book order’s in the shipping queue, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List.
You’ll get an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry. This comprehensive resource is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
In the following replay of my members-only live stream, I talk about Dr. Davis and Super Cultured Dairy.
I share upcoming recipes and what I have planned for my Mary’s Nest YouTube channel in 2024.
During this month’s members-only live stream, we talked about a variety of topics, including a preview of upcoming videos.
I talk about the people I met at this year’s conference and share some behind-the-scenes of my new cookbook.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Favorite Aprons
- Spice Grinder
- Countertop Burner (On my kitchen island in many recipe videos.)
- Handheld Vacuum Sealing System
- Vacuum Lids
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- pH Strips (Helps you check on the acidity of your vinegar)
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!