Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Learn How to Make Cream of Soup Mix, which is a Shelf-Stable Pantry Staple. You can use this mix in any recipe that calls for a can of “cream of soup.”
Table of Contents
- The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
- Never Buy a Canned Cream of Soup Again
- How to Use Cream of Soup Mix
- Customize Your Cream of Soup Flavor
- Easy-to-Make Pantry Staples
- Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
- Kitchen Academy Videos
- Cream of Soup Mix Recipe
- Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Order YOUR COPY Now!
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
Seasonal ingredients, traditional techniques, and nourishing recipes. Over 85 traditional, from-scratch recipes! Discover for yourself how you can use simple ingredients and traditional techniques to cook the modern pioneer way.
Never Buy a Canned Cream of Soup Again
You will love learning how to make your own shelf-stable Cream of Soup Mix because it only contains four easy-to-find ingredients, as I show you in my printable recipe. Plus, you can control how much salt you want to add.
You’ll never have to buy a can of cream of soup again. Having your own mix is a boon to the traditional foods kitchen because the canned versions have so many ingredients in them…and many that are hard to pronounce!
How to Use Cream of Soup Mix
You can easily use your homemade Cream of Soup Mix by reconstituting a portion of your mix with some water in a small saucepan. Next, bring it up to a boil, and once it thickens, your reconstituted mixture is ready to be used in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of soup, such as casseroles.
Customize Your Cream of Soup Flavor
The great news about making your Cream of Soup Mix is that you can make it any flavor that you want. And even better yet…you can use your homemade bouillon powder to do it! You can use beef, chicken, or vegetable bouillon powder.
And if you want to make a cream of mushroom soup, no problem! You can pulverize some dried mushrooms and use your mushroom powder in place of the bouillon powder. Delicious!
Easy-to-Make Pantry Staples
Now that you have added a homemade Cream of Soup Mix to your pantry, be sure to try these other easy-to-make pantry staples.
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
For an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
And if you’re looking for a printed book full of my traditional foods recipes that shows you how to create a traditional foods kitchen, be sure to order your copy of my new bestselling book, The Modern Pioneer Cookbook.
Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
I chat about why it was important for me to create this comprehensive curriculum for students in grades K-12.
I share upcoming recipes and what I have planned for my Mary’s Nest YouTube channel in 2024.
During this month’s members-only live stream, we talked about a variety of topics, including a preview of upcoming videos.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Cream of Soup Mix
- Quart-sized jar with lid
- Food Safe Silica Gel Pack (optional)
- 2 cups Dry milk powder Non-fat dry milk powder will have a 1 year shelf life. Full-fat dry milk powder will have a 6 month shelf life.
- 3/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Bouillon powder, preferably homemade
- 1 tbsp. Fine ground salt Omit if using store-bought bouillon powder.
- 2 tsp. Combination of dried herbs and/or spices, optional
How to Make Cream of Soup Mix
- Mix all ingredients, except water, together in a quart-sized jar, and shake well to mix thoroughly.
- Add a food-safe silica gel pack to the jar, if using.
- Put a lid on the jar and store it in your pantry.
How to Rehydrate Cream of Soup Mix to Make the Equivalent of 1 can of Cream of Soup
- Add 1/3 cup of Cream of Soup Mix to a small saucepan.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of water to the saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture has thickened, which will happen almost immediately once it comes up to a boil, it is ready to use in any recipe that calls for 1 can of cream of soup.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
In my Cream of Soup recipe video, I show you how to keep moisture out of the jar in which you’re storing your mix using these handy Silica Gel Packets. And in my Prepper Pantry video series, I also talk about how you can add these packets to your 5 Gallon Storage Buckets to keep moisture from building up inside.
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!