How to Make Cream of Soup Mix – Shelf Stable Pantry Staple
Learn How to Make Cream of Soup Mix, which is a Shelf-Stable Pantry Staple. You can use this mix in any recipe that calls for a can of “cream of soup.”
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Never Buy a Canned Cream of Soup Again
You will love learning how to make your own shelf-stable Cream of Soup Mix because it only contains four easy-to-find ingredients, as I show you in my printable recipe. Plus, you can control how much salt you want to add.
You’ll never have to buy a can of cream of soup again. Having your own mix is a boon to the traditional foods kitchen because the canned versions have so many ingredients in them…and many that are hard to pronounce!
How to Use Cream of Soup Mix
You can easily use your homemade Cream of Soup Mix by reconstituting a portion of your mix with some water in a small saucepan. Next, bring it up to a boil, and once it thickens, your reconstituted mixture is ready to be used in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of soup, such as casseroles.
Customize Your Cream of Soup Flavor
The great news about making your Cream of Soup Mix is that you can make it any flavor that you want. And even better yet…you can use your homemade bouillon powder to do it! You can use beef, chicken, or vegetable bouillon powder.
And if you want to make a cream of mushroom soup, no problem! You can pulverize some dried mushrooms and use your mushroom powder in place of the bouillon powder. Delicious!
Now that you have added a homemade Cream of Soup Mix to your pantry, be sure to try these other easy-to-make pantry staples.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Cream of Soup Mix
- Quart-sized jar with lid
- Food Safe Silica Gel Pack (optional)
- 2 cups Dry milk powder Non-fat dry milk powder will have a 1 year shelf life. Full-fat dry milk powder will have a 6 month shelf life.
- 3/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Bouillon powder, preferably homemade
- 1 tbsp. Fine ground salt Omit if using store-bought bouillon powder.
- 2 tsp. Combination of dried herbs and/or spices, optional
How to Make Cream of Soup Mix
- Mix all ingredients, except water, together in a quart-sized jar, and shake well to mix thoroughly.
- Add a food-safe silica gel pack to the jar, if using.
- Put a lid on the jar and store it in your pantry.
How to Rehydrate Cream of Soup Mix to Make the Equivalent of 1 can of Cream of Soup
- Add 1/3 cup of Cream of Soup Mix to a small saucepan.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of water to the saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture has thickened, which will happen almost immediately once it comes up to a boil, it is ready to use in any recipe that calls for 1 can of cream of soup.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
In my Cream of Soup recipe video, I show you how to keep moisture out of the jar in which you’re storing your mix using these handy Silica Gel Packets. And in my Prepper Pantry video series, I also talk about how you can add these packets to your 5 Gallon Storage Buckets to keep moisture from building up inside.
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- Masontops Fermentation Kit (promo code below)
- Mockmill 100 Stone Grain Mill (promo code below)
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Use promo code marysnest for a 5% discount on Mockmill Stone Grain Mill products.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.