Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Just like with beans, you can soak nuts to increase their digestibility and nutrient absorption. And it couldn’t be easier. In this video, I soak pecans because they are plentiful where I live in central Texas, but you can use this technique for any variety of nuts.
Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Why Should I Soak Nuts?
Soaking nuts in salted water and then allowing them to dry gently, makes the nuts much more digestible and allows our bodies to better assimilate the nutrients that are in nuts.
Plus, soaking and drying nuts helps them taste more delicious. So be sure to try this crispy nuts recipe to make pecans that taste like butter.
How Did Crispy Nuts Get Its Name?
If you’re wondering why they are called “crispy” nuts, it’s because after we soak them, we dry the nuts in a low-temperature (“cool”) oven. Once they are dry, the nuts have a nice exterior crunch, but the center is delightfully tender.
Now, if you’re a purist and you want to retain every last bit of enzymes contained in the soaked nuts, you’ll want to dehydrate them at 110°F. But don’t worry if you don’t have a dehydrator. You can dry the soaked nuts in a cool oven set to its lowest setting.
How Long Does It Take to Make Crispy Pecans?
If you are drying the soaked nuts in a dehydrator, it can take anywhere from 12-24 hours. On the other hand, if you are drying them in a cool oven, it will take anywhere from 8-12 hours.
How to Know When Your Crispy Pecans Are Dry?
The best test is to feel the texture of your crispy pecans. Once they feel dry to the touch, give them a taste. If they have a nice crispy exterior, they’re done. If you’re not sure, leave them to dry for another hour or so.
Learn More About Soaking Beans, Grains, and Oats
In the following recipe videos, I show you how to soak beans, grains, and oats so you can make your beans, baked goods, and oatmeal easier to digest.
Dehydrating 101 Video Series
To learn more about dehydrating, watch my Dehydrating 101 video series.
More Dehydrating Recipes
In the following videos, I’ll show you how you can dehydrate a variety of foods, from bone broth to vegetable bouillon and more!
Crispy citrus chips and peels can be a delightful treat, and I show you how in the following recipe videos.
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
If you’re learning how to soak and dry nuts, congratulations! You’re well on your way to transitioning from a processed foods kitchen to a traditional foods kitchen. Now, make sure you have your pantry well-stocked with traditional foods too.
For a comprehensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
In the following members-only videos, I show you How to Equip Your Traditional Foods Kitchen.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Trending Posts on Mary’s Nest
How to Make Crispy Pecans
- 1 ½ pounds Pecans or another nut of choice
- 2 tbsp Coarse ground Celtic sea salt
- Place nuts in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover nuts with water and allow to soak 8-12 hours.
- After soaking, drain your nuts in a colander.
- Spread your nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in an oven set to its lowest setting. Allow to dry between 8-12 hours.
- Alternatively, if using a dehydrator, spread nuts onto a lined dehydrator sheet and place the sheet into the dehydrator set to 110°F (43°C). Allow to dry 12-24 hours.
- Once dry and cooled, store in an airtight container. At room temperature, the nuts will stay fresh for three months. If stored in the refrigerator, they will stay fresh for six months or up to one year if stored in the freezer.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Colander Set (3 Piece)
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3 Piece)
- Light Grey Celtic coarse sea salt
- Glass Pitcher
- Aluminum Commercial Baker’s Half Sheet
- Nonstick Parchment Paper
- Bake IT Collection Food Storage Containers
- Wine Colored Cotton Terry Dish Towels
More Kitchen Supplies with Discount Codes
- Mockmill Grain Grinder and Whole Grains (including Einkorn, Emmer, and Spelt)
Learn more about Mockmill electric grain mills for making fresh flour and their Flake Lover's Flaker that flakes whole grain in minutes.
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!
Disclaimer:I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.