Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
In the following video, I’ll introduce you to two cookbooks to help you get started cooking with scraps.
Table of Contents
- Why Cook with Scraps?
- More Cooking with Scraps Videos
- Regrow Kitchen Scraps
- More Cooking with Scraps Recipes
- Masontops Mason Jar Fermentation Kit Discount Coupon
- Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
- The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
- Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Why Cook with Scraps?
Cooking with scraps helps you stretch your grocery budget and create a no-waste kitchen. You will learn that foods you normally throw into your compost bin or your kitchen refuse can be turned into complete meals that are both nutritious and delicious!
In my conversational video, I talk about the following cookbooks:
These books include a bounty of recipes to help you think about different ways you can cook with your kitchen scraps to make tasty meals for your family.
More Cooking with Scraps Videos
Can you use your kitchen scraps to make bone broth? Absolutely, and I’ll show you how to make chicken bone broth for pennies a jar.
However, you can also use your kitchen scraps to make vinegar, pickled vegetables, and other delicious recipes.
Using fruit scraps to make homemade vinegar will produce some of the most flavorful vinegars you have ever tasted. Plus, they will contain the “Mother,” which means they are raw and rich in good bacteria, making them the ideal ingredient to improve or maintain our digestive health.
Like chicken bone broth, you can literally make vinegar for pennies, saving you from having to spend money on the high-priced fruit vinegars sold at gourmet grocery stores.
Pickled veggies are delicious, and you can make them even better with a few leftover scraps from your vegetable bin. And no one will know that your tasty pickled vegetables were made with bits and bobs that might have otherwise wound up in the trash bin!
If you like to enjoy fresh asparagus in season but don’t know what to do with the tough ends, I’ll show you how to make the most delicious asparagus dip. Now that’s cooking with scraps!
One of my favorite pasta recipes is made with the tough tops of leek greens. Once I show you how to cook them and add them to pasta, this cooking with scraps recipe might become one of your favorites too.
And this recipe below for a cheese crock is one of my favorite appetizers to break out when unexpected guests stop by. This recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also fun to make!
Regrow Kitchen Scraps
In the following videos, I show you how to regrow your kitchen scraps to create a recurring harvest. You’ll also meet my son as we plant our kitchen scraps.
This tasty leek greens and pasta dish helps you stretch your grocery budget and create a no-waste kitchen.
Clean out your crisper and make this treat with options for various tasty brines.
Masontops Mason Jar Fermentation Kit Discount Coupon
You can also use your vegetable scraps to make ferments. And although you don’t need any special equipment to start making ferments, the Masontops kit can help you simplify the process and enable you to create your ferment successfully.
In my Masontops unboxing video, I show you my Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit and go over everything the kit includes.
- Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com. (This is not a sponsored post. Masontops provided me with a special discount code for my viewers. I like their products, and I think you will too.)
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
For an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
And if you’re looking for a printed book full of my traditional foods recipes that shows you how to create a traditional foods kitchen, be sure to order your copy of my new bestselling book, The Modern Pioneer Cookbook.
Order YOUR COPY Now!
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
Seasonal ingredients, traditional techniques, and nourishing recipes. Over 85 traditional, from-scratch recipes! Discover for yourself how you can use simple ingredients and traditional techniques to cook the modern pioneer way.
Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
If you like cooking with scraps, you’ll also enjoy fermenting. In the following members-only video series, I talk about Mastering the Art of Fermentation.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Favorite Aprons
- Silica Gel Packets (Helps keep moisture from building up in your mix)
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!