How to Make Crisp Lacto Fermented Pickles
Learn the secret ingredient to CRISP Lacto Fermented Pickles. These pickles will not be mushy! They’ll be rich in probiotics for good gut health, as well as tasty, but most importantly, your fermented pickles will have a great crunch when you bite into them!
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Keep Your Pickles Crisp with Tannins
Do you find that old-fashioned, homemade lacto-fermented foods, including pickles, can be mushy? Well, they won’t be anymore! You just need to add tannins to keep your naturally fermented pickles crisp.
And what contains tannins? Grape leaves! Unfortunately, for most of us, grape leaves are not easy to come by. But don’t worry! I have a solution in my recipe video. Use a simple ingredient that comes right out of your spice cabinet. And if you don’t have this simple ingredient on hand, no problem. I have an alternative ingredient that pretty much every kitchen has in their cabinet or pantry!
More Ideas for Fermenting
Once you’ve tried Lacto Fermented Pickles, you’ll definitely want to try your hand at making other fermented foods, including more fermented veggies. So be sure to check out these other fermenting videos below:
If you ever wonder why your fermentation tastes salty, check out my video where I answer this question and other fermentation questions from my viewers below:
You can also make these probiotic-rich fermented beverages, including some tasty good-for-you sodas.
Masontops Mason Jar Fermentation Kit Discount Coupon
Although you don’t need any special equipment to start making ferments, the Masontops kit can help you simplify the process and enable you to create your ferment successfully. In my Masontops unboxing video, I show you my Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit and go over everything the kit includes.
- Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com. (This is not a sponsored post. Masontops provided me with a special discount code for my viewers. I like their products, and I think you will too.)
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
For an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
Kitchen Academy Videos
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
In the following members-only video series, I talk about the Art of Fermentation.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Trending Posts on Mary’s Nest
How to Make Crisp Lacto-Fermented Pickles
- 1 quart-sized jar
- 1 Four ounce glass jelly canning jar or glass fermentation weight
- 1 screw on lid or 1 canning ring and 1 pickle pipe
- 4 Pickling cucumbers, quartered lengthwise into spears
- 1 tablespoon Pickling spices Or any combination of spices that you like.
- 1 bunch Fresh dill, optional Or any combination of herbs that you like.
- 1 Tannin-rich ingredient, such as a tea bag or bay leaf. See video.
- 2 tablespoons Coarse-ground sea salt Or 1 tablespoon fine-ground sea salt.
- Chlorine-free water Enough to cover cucumbers.
- Place pickling spices into the bottom of a quart-sized jar.
- Place a tea bag, if using, into the bottom of the jar.
- Add cucumber spears to the jar, packing tightly.
- Insert a bay leaf (or leaves), if using, down the side of the jar to be parallel with the cucumber spears. (See video.)
- Mix salt with a small amount of water and pour into the jar.
- Pour additional water into the jar to make sure that cucumbers are completely covered.
- Place jelly jar or glass fermentation weight on top of cucumbers.
- Place lid or pickle pipe and canning ring on the jar. Tighten the lid or canning ring.
- Place the jar in a warm place that averages between 72 – 78°F.
- If using only a lid on the jar, release the lid daily and retighten. This will release some of the carbon dioxide gas that is produced by the fermentation process and prevent your jar from breaking. (Using a pickle pipe will help you skip needing to release the lid daily.)
- After a few days, check the texture of the cucumbers. If they are to your liking, you can remove the weight, put a lid on the jar ,and refrigerate your cucumbers. If they have not reached a satisfactory texture, continue to allow them to ferment. By 7 days, remove the weight, put a lid on the jar, and refrigerate your cucumbers.
- Note, after 7 days of fermentation, the cucumbers, which are now lacto-fermented pickles, will taste salty. Over the next few weeks during refrigeration, the pickles will absorb more of the brine, increasing their flavor, and the brine will become less salty.
- Lacto-fermented pickles will stay fresh, refrigerated, for approximately 6 months.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Fermentation Supplies
Favorite Masontops Supplies
- Masontops Complete Fermentation Kit
- Silicone Pickle Pipes
- Fermentation Glass Weights
- Wooden Pickle Packer
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my beef bones, electric grain mills, sprouted grains, and more…and get special discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Mockmill, Masontops, and Cultures for Health.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.