How to Make a Simple Roast Chicken
I love to make a Roast Chicken – and if it were up to me, I would probably roast a chicken every day! But I think my family might like a little more variety for dinner. 😉 But even so, no one objects when I bring a Roast Chicken to the table encased in a crispy skin that—when sliced—reveals moist and delicious meat inside.
Leftovers Make Great Bone Broth
A Roast Chicken provides a warm and comforting meal and also makes for wonderful leftovers. But best of all is the carcass that’s left over! Why? Because you can use that carcass to make the most flavorful and nutritious Chicken Bone Broth for pennies a jar.
And once you master making Chicken Bone Broth, be sure to check out my video for how to make Beef Bone Broth where I share the best bones to use to create a rich and gelatinous broth.
Learn How to Make Chicken Bone Broth
And then check out my other video that will show you how to make Chicken Bone Broth with the leftover carcass…and learn about the secret ingredient that I add to make the best bone broth you’ve ever had!
Now that you’ve learned how to make a simple roast chicken, try these other chicken recipes too.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) -
When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) -
Get a free eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
How to Make a Simple Roast Chicken
- 1 Five pound Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Salt Divided
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper Divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes Divided (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried mixed herbs Divided (Optional)
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter Melted (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Salt the chicken cavity (the inside of the chicken) with 1 teaspoon of the salt along with a 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. If using, add 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon of the dried herbs to the cavity of the chicken.
- Bend the wing tips of the chicken underneath the body of the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. This is a quick and easy way to “truss” a chicken without actually tying the entire chicken with twine.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the exterior of the chicken with the melted butter, if using.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining salt and pepper, pepper flakes, and dried herbs, if using.
- Place the roasting pan with the chicken into the oven and roast the chicken for 20-25 minutes per pound until the thigh reaches an internal temperature of 185°F. You can test this by using a cooking thermometer.
- Once the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 185°F, remove the roasting pan with the chicken from the oven. Allow the chicken to rest in the roasting pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, transfer the roasted chicken to a serving platter. Carve, serve, and enjoy!
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more…and learn about Special Discounts for Mary’s Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
- Large 13-Inch x 16-Inch Roaster with Nonstick Rack Cookware
- Silica Gel Packets
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 8-Quart Slow-Cooker
- Fat Separator (Clever kitchen device to help you decant bone broth)
- Flour Sack Towels
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- Masontops Fermentation Kit (promo code below)
- Mockmill 100 Stone Grain Mill (promo code below)
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
Use promo code marysnest for a 5% discount on Mockmill Stone Grain Mill products.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.