How to Make a Healthy Fresh Peach Buckle
This Fresh Peach Buckle is made healthy by substituting Whole Wheat Flour or other Whole Grain Flour in place of all-purpose flour.
But before we get started baking, you may be asking, “What is a Buckle?” Great question! It’s an old-fashioned style coffee cake that is moist and ladened with fruit. And you can serve it for breakfast or dessert.
Cake, Fruit, and a Crumb Topping!
This Healthy Peach Buckle Recipe lends itself beautifully to using whole grain flour because the cake basically “buckles” under the weight of the fruit and the crumb topping. Additionally, the buckle does not require the typical rise as with other cakes.
This cake has very little rise, but that’s okay. What it lacks in rise, it makes up for with a delightfully tasty combination of rich cake, sweet fruit, and a bit of sweet crunch from the crumb topping.
A Peach Buckle All in One Bowl
The nice thing about this cake batter is that it can all be mixed up in one bowl. For instance, there’s no need to cream the butter and sugar first. (And speaking of sugar, this recipe calls for dried cane juice, which has all its vitamins and minerals intact.)
Instead, you’ll throw all the cake batter ingredients into one bowl. And after that, you’ll blend everything together for about 3 minutes by hand or using an electric whisk. Next, you’ll pour the batter into your prepared pan and sprinkle it with the crumb topping.
In short, it couldn’t be easier! Before you know it, you’ll get that Peach Buckle into the oven in no time at all.
More Ideas for Baking with Whole Grains
Once you master this Peach Buckle Recipe, be sure to check out these other great whole grain recipes:
Subscribe to my channel for more easy recipes
And while you're visiting my Mary's Nest YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe and click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!Love,
Healthy Peach Buckle Recipe Made with Whole Grain Flour
- Springform Pan or Cake Pan or Baking Dish
- 4 cups Fresh peaches, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces approximately 1" x 1" 4-5 peaches
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat pastry flour any whole grain flour can be substituted
- 1/2 cup Dried cane juice (sucanat) maple sugar, date sugar or coconut sugar can be substituted.
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- pinch Fine ground sea salt
- 1/2 stick Butter, softened 4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cups Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine ground sea salt
- 2/3 cup Dried cane juice (sucanat) maple sugar, date sugar or coconut sugar can be substituted.
- 1 1/2 sticks Butter, softened 12 tablespoons or 3/4 cup
- 2 Eggs, large
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and set rack in oven to lower middle position.
- If using a springform pan or cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper. With whatever pan you are using, grease well with butter and then dust with flour. Shake out excess. Set aside
- Peel peaches, chop, and toss in lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together until they resemble coarse sand. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in 1 bowl and mix by hand or with an electric whisk until well combined, approximately 3 minutes. Batter will be thick.
- Mix peaches into batter and transfer to the baking dish that you are using.
- Top batter with crumb topping. Squeeze portions of topping in hand and then crumble over cake batter to create large crumbs and small crumbs.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour. Test for doneness with a toothpick in the center of the cake. When the toothpick comes out clean with no batter on it, the cake is done.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
- Visit Mary's Nest Amazon Shop
Visit my Shopping Guide page
Learn where I buy my Beef Bones, Wild-Caught Fish, Sprouted Grains, and more...and learn about Special Discounts for Mary's Nest visitors, including from US Wellness Meats, Vital Choice, Masontops, and Breadsmart.
- Organic Soft White Wheat Berries
- Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- Mockmill 100
- Mockmill 200
- KitchenAid Mockmill Attachment
- Breadsmart bread baking kit
Use promo code MARYSNST for a one-time 15% off Masontops and Breadsmart products on Amazon.com.
*A Note About Affiliates: My videos, video descriptions, and blog posts may contain affiliate links to various products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website.