Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I'll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Make Ahead Cornbread Dressing Recipe
This Whole Grain Cornbread Dressing is the perfect recipe to accompany your Thanksgiving Turkey.
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Making a Nutritious Cornbread Dressing
The best part is that you can make this Thanksgiving side dish the day before Thanksgiving, and any leftovers will reheat beautifully!
More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Speaking of side dishes, the following recipes will give you more delicious foods to enjoy around your Thanksgiving dinner table.
Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
We’ve talked about making cornbread dressing and other sides, but what about the turkey. In the following recipe videos, I’ll show you how to make two small turkeys in your oven at the same time or one turkey breast in your Instant Pot.
Afterward, use your turkey bones to make delicious bone broth.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Whole Grain Cornbread Dressing
- 8 cups Whole grain cornbread* cubes, stale
- 8 cups White bread or Sourdough bread cubes, stale
- 1 bunch Celery, chopped
- 4 Onions, chopped yellow, medium-sized
- 1 tablespoon Poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 4 Eggs, large
- 2 cups Milk, whole
- 2 cups Chicken or turkey stock or chicken or turkey bone broth
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Butter, melted more for greasing pan
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 12" round cast iron pan with butter. (You can also use an alternate pan such as a rectangular 9×13 pyrex baking dish.)
- Sauté the celery and onions in the butter with the poultry seasoning and salt until the celery is soft and the onions are translucent, but not browned. This process takes approximately 10 minutes.
- While the celery and onion cook, add both types of bread cubes to a large bowl.
- Once the celery and onion are cooked, pour the celery, onion, and butter mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Add the eggs to the milk, mix well, and pour over the bread cube mixture. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the stock or bone broth over the bread cube mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the entire mixture to the greased pan and place it on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Allow it to bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is a crispy golden brown.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Stainless Steel 8″ Magic Whisk
- Chef’s Knife
- Bamboo Cutting Board
- Lodge Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Spatula Spoon
- Large Stock Pot
- Stainless Steel Colander
- Large Measuring Cup
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Flour Sack Towels
- Favorite Aprons
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from Lehman's, Mockmill Grain Mill, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, US Wellness Meats, and More!
**Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, a medical professional, a dietician, or a nutritionist. All content found on the MarysNest.com website, including text, images, videos, eBooks or eGuides, social media, or other formats, were created solely for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or proper nutritional advice. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have watched in a video or read on this website. Use caution when following the recipe in this video. The creator and publisher of this video and website will not be held responsible for any adverse effects that may arise from the use of this recipe and method or any other recipe and method on this website or corresponding video channel.