This Whole Grain Cornbread Dressing is the perfect recipe to accompany your Thanksgiving Turkey.
Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My content may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Table of Contents
- Making a Nutritious Cornbread Dressing
- More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
- More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
- Kitchen Academy Videos
- Whole Grain Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Making a Nutritious Cornbread Dressing
The best part is that you can make this Thanksgiving side dish the day before Thanksgiving, and any leftovers will reheat beautifully!
More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Speaking of side dishes, the following recipes will give you more delicious foods to enjoy around your Thanksgiving dinner table.
Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
We’ve talked about making cornbread dressing and other sides, but what about the turkey. In the following recipe videos, I’ll show you how to make two small turkeys in your oven at the same time or one turkey breast in your Instant Pot.
Afterward, use your turkey bones to make delicious bone broth.
This spinach ricotta pie makes a tasty appetizer, side dish, or holiday entree for family and friends who follow a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.
Surprise yourself and your family and friends with this easy and memorable French Pot-au-Feu recipe made with turkey necks.
Make this rich, creamy pumpkin soup from an easy Seventeenth Century Heirloom Recipe.
Download Your Free 36-Page Pantry List
For an extensive list of the traditional foods you can make and purchase to stock your pantry, be sure to download my free 36-page Traditional Foods Pantry List. This comprehensive eBook is full of links to recipe videos, helpful articles, and more!
And if you’re looking for a printed book full of my traditional foods recipes to show you how to create a traditional foods kitchen, be sure to order your copy of my new bestselling book, The Modern Pioneer Cookbook.
Order YOUR COPY Now!
The Modern Pioneer Cookbook
Seasonal ingredients, traditional techniques, and nourishing recipes. Over 85 traditional, from-scratch recipes! Discover for yourself how you can use simple ingredients and traditional techniques to cook the modern pioneer way.
Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy
Are you looking for more traditional foods videos? If so, I invite you to join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy. Members of this optional paid YouTube community get access to exclusive videos, live streams, and other members-only perks. Plus, your YouTube comments include a special members-only badge.
I chat about why it was important for me to create this comprehensive curriculum for students in grades K-12.
I share upcoming recipes and what I have planned for my Mary’s Nest YouTube channel in 2024.
During this month’s members-only live stream, we talked about a variety of topics, including a preview of upcoming videos.
Stay in Touch with Mary’s Nest
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel for Traditional Foods Videos (Free) - When you subscribe, be sure to click on the notification bell that will let you know each time I upload a new video.
- Subscribe to Mary’s Traditional Foods Newsletter (Free) - Get a free 36-page eBook for signing up: How to Stock Your Essential Traditional Foods Four-Corners Pantry.
- Join the Traditional Foods Kitchen Academy (Optional Paid) - For more detailed videos, live streams, and exclusive members-only perks, join my YouTube membership community.
- Order The Modern Pioneer Cookbook (Optional Paid) - Get a printed book of Mary's nourishing recipes from a Traditional Foods Kitchen. This bestselling cookbook is published by Penguin Random House with their DK imprint.
I look forward to having you join me in my Texas Hill Country Kitchen!
Whole Grain Cornbread Dressing
- 8 cups Whole grain cornbread* cubes, stale
- 8 cups White bread or Sourdough bread cubes, stale
- 1 bunch Celery, chopped
- 4 Onions, chopped yellow, medium-sized
- 1 tablespoon Poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 4 Eggs, large
- 2 cups Milk, whole
- 2 cups Chicken or turkey stock or chicken or turkey bone broth
- 2 sticks (1 cup) Butter, melted more for greasing pan
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 12" round cast iron pan with butter. (You can also use an alternate pan such as a rectangular 9×13 pyrex baking dish.)
- Sauté the celery and onions in the butter with the poultry seasoning and salt until the celery is soft and the onions are translucent, but not browned. This process takes approximately 10 minutes.
- While the celery and onion cook, add both types of bread cubes to a large bowl.
- Once the celery and onion are cooked, pour the celery, onion, and butter mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Add the eggs to the milk, mix well, and pour over the bread cube mixture. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the stock or bone broth over the bread cube mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the entire mixture to the greased pan and place it on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Allow it to bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is a crispy golden brown.
Shop for items used in this blog post or video
Favorite Kitchen Supplies
- Stainless Steel 8″ Magic Whisk
- Chef’s Knife
- Bamboo Cutting Board
- Lodge Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Spatula Spoon
- Large Stock Pot
- Stainless Steel Colander
- Large Measuring Cup
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Baking Sheet
- 2-Cup Glass Storage Jars with Lids
- 10-Piece Glass Bowl Set
- Flour Sack Towels
- Favorite Aprons
Amazon Shop and Shopping Guide
- Visit Mary’s Nest Amazon Shop
- Visit my Shopping Guide page
Get up to 15% off for stocking your Traditional Foods Pantry and equipping your Modern Pioneer Kitchen, including discounts from US Wellness Meats, Farmhouse Teas, Lehman's, Masontops, Cultures for Health, Survival Garden Seeds, Redmond Real Salt, Plan to Eat, and More!